Books Inc. hardcover best-seller list
1. GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn
2. SIGNAL & NOISE, by Nate Silver
3. FLIGHT BEHAVIOR, by Barbara Kingsolver
4. BLASPHEMY, by Sherman Alexie
5. HOW CHILDREN SUCCEED: GRIT, CURIOSITY, AND THE HIDDEN POWER OF CHARACTER, by Paul Tough
6. RACKETEER, by John Grisham
7. THIS IS HOW YOU LOSE HER, by Junot Diaz
8. COMEBACK KINGS, by Bay Area News Group
9. HOW TO TELL IF YOUR CAT IS PLOTTING TO KILL YOU, by Matt Inman
10. WINTER OF THE WORLD, by Ken Follett
STAFF PICKS For Adults
MY BERLIN KITCHEN, by Luisa Weiss
This coming-of-age memoir includes recipes along the way. The Wednesday Chef food blogger tells the story of her search for where she belongs, shuttling between New York, Boston and Berlin.
— S. Sarmiento
BOTH FLESH AND NOT, by David Foster Wallace
A new book by David Foster Wallace is always cause for celebration, and this collection of essays (his third) is a wonderful addition. Wallace had a curious and brilliant mind, and should be considered one of our finest humorists.
— S. Mullin
STAFF PICKS FOR KIDS
JANGLES: A BIG FISH STORY, by David Shannon (ages 3 and up)
The latest from David Shannon is a delightful tall tale … or is it?
— B. Deloria
ONCE UPON A MARIGOLD, by Jean Ferris (ages 8–11)
A very cute, entertaining take on the traditional fairy tale, complete with a peasant, a troll, a princess, and (of course) an evil queen.
— T. Marsden