Books Inc. hardcover best-seller list
- CITY OF THIEVES, by David Benioff
- GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn
- NO EASY DAY, by Mark Owen
- TELEGRAPH AVENUE, by Michael Chabon
- 50 SHADES DARKER, by E.L. James
- THE MARRIAGE PLOT, by Jeffery Eugenides
- THE SENSE OF AN ENDING, by Julian Barnes
- IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS, by Erik Larson
- A WANTED MAN, by Lee Child
- 50 SHADES FREED, by E.L. James
STAFF PICKS For Adults
A MAN AND HIS SHIP: AMERICA’S GREATEST NAVAL ARCHITECT AND HIS QUEST TO BUILD THE SS UNITED STATES, by Steven Ujifusa
What a stunning fast read! If you love the history of ocean liners, this one’s for you. If you love stories about men who are achievers, this one is for you. How it all came to be.
— B. Dito
TELEGRAPH AVENUE, by Michael Chabon
When a small record store in the East Bay is threatened with the arrival of a superstore, its owners seek help from unusual sources: a has-been martial artist with a radical past, an aged musician named Cochise Jones, and an Illinois state senator named Obama.
— T. Gartner
Staff Picks For Teens (ages 14 and up)
YOU DON’T KNOW ME, by David Klass
This novel deals with tragic circumstances with eccentric, deft humor. John’s observations on the absurdity of high school are spot-on; he’s a character that will stick with you long after you’ve turned the last page.
— T. Marsden
Staff Picks For Kids (ages 8–12)
LIESL & PO, by Lauren Oliver
This ghost story is decidedly sweet, which may seem like an odd combination, but it works beautifully in this Dickens-esque tale of loss, magic and friendship.
— T. Marsden