Books Inc. hardcover best-seller list
- Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn
- CITY OF THIEVES: A NOVEL, by David Benioff
- TENTH OF DECEMBER: STORIES, by George Saunders
- A MEMORY OF LIGHT, by Robert Jordan
- GRACE: A MEMOIR, by Grace Coddington
- THE COLOUR OF MILK: A NOVEL, by Nell Leyshon
- MR. PENUMBRA’S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE, by Robin Sloan
- SUTTON, by J.R. Moehringer
- THE DUDE AND THE ZEN MASTER, by Jeff Bridges
- TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL: PARENTING FOR AUTHENTIC SUCCESS, by Madeline Levine
STAFF PICKS FOR ADULTS
by Cheryl Strayed
This breathtaking account is one of the best I’ve read. It’s an exhilarating story of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.
— S. Sarmiento
The Lost Carving: A Journey To The Heart Of Making
by David Esterly
I read this the second week in January, and I think I may have already found the best book of the year.
— B. Deloria
The River Swimmer
by Jim Harrison
I compare Harrison to my two golden boys of literature of times past — Hemingway and Steinbeck. The two novellas here are wonderful examples of the man’s talent. Intelligent. Provocative. Ribald. Perhaps more for men than women, but nevertheless his stories will carry the reader away, and that’s what good fiction is all about.
— B. Dito
STAFF PICKS FOR KIDS
The Shape Of My Heart
by Mark Sperring, illustrations by Alys Paterson (ages 4 and up)
This book is adorable! I love the funky modern pictures and the sweet messages — a perfect Valentine’s Day gift!
— E. Freeman
The Terrible Thing That Happened To Barnaby Brocket
by John Boyne, Illustrations by Oliver Jeffers (ages 8–12)
Barnaby Brocket is an extraordinary boy with an extraordinary talent. When his family sends him away, he’ll have to use everything in his heart to find his own way.
— E. Freeman