Police Blotter

The latest reports of people behaving badly

If you track the incidents of crime in San Francisco, the statistics reported through the middle of 2015 won’t make you happy.

From July 2014 through July 2015, citywide violent crime was up 10 percent. That includes homicide (up 22 percent), robbery (15 percent), aggravated assault (4 percent), and rape (no change). For the northern district, the overall violent crime rate was also up 10 percent, though rape was actually down 48 percent; the largest increase was in homicides, which saw a 150 percent increase.

Property crimes were also up during that time period. Citywide, though burglaries fell 4 percent, other property crimes rose a total of 21 percent, with the biggest rises in thefts from vehicles (45 percent) and arson (38 percent). For the northern district, overall property crimes rose 41 percent; again, burglaries were down 10 percent, but thefts from autos rose an eye-popping 72 percent and arsons were up 80 percent.

The crimes described below are only a small snapshot of what the police officers of Northern Station are doing. For a more comprehensive list, visit; under Compstat, select the link to Crimemaps.


Nov. 8, 2:12 p.m.

Eddy at Gough Streets

Plainclothes officers stopped and detained a jaywalker. They checked his driver’s license and saw that he was on probation, so they did a probation search and found two baggies of suspected methamphetamine and three baggies of suspected marijuana. They placed him under arrest.

The officers also found items on him that belonged to other people—credit cards, debit cards, and a birth certificate. He was transported and later booked at County Jail.


Nov. 11, 2:40 p.m.

O’Farrell at Larkin Streets

Officers spotted two subjects smoking cigarettes near the entrance of a liquor store, a violation of San Francisco Health Code 1009.22(d). The officers informed them they couldn’t smoke there and asked for identification, which only one of them provided. They did a computer check on the first subject, which revealed that he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. The second subject did not have identification and gave the officers two fake names.

Both subjects were taken to Northern Station for further investigation. Officers confirmed the identity of the second subject and discovered that he also had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Both subjects were later transported to County Jail and booked according to the warrants.


Nov. 12, 8 a.m.

Avila St. at Marina Blvd.

Patrol officers observed a white male standing on the corner with his pants down. They detained him. A computer check revealed he had several outstanding arrest warrants. He was also reported as a missing person since Sept. 19, 2015. He was transported to Northern Station to confirm the warrants and his identity; he was later transported to County Jail, where he was booked.


Nov. 13, 4:25 a.m.

1800 Block of Pine Street

Dispatchers sent officers to a report of a man who had sprayed a fire extinguisher into an apartment and set off the building’s fire alarm. The suspect was a white male, about 32 years old, and wearing blue clothes. The 911 caller told the officers that the suspect used to be his friend and he used to let him stay with him. The suspect had gone to the caller’s door and started pounding on it, demanding to be let in. The caller had refused; there was a “stay-away” order against the suspect, due to prior altercations. The suspect kept demanding to be let in, and then the caller saw smoke of some sort coming under the door into his apartment. So he called the police and the suspect ran away.

The police officers conducted a search of the building and found the suspect. He refused to comply with their orders to get on the ground, and he put his hands in his pockets. Fearing he might have a weapon, the officers tackled the suspect to the ground.

A fight ensued; the suspect refused to comply, he clinched his fists and kept tucking them under his waistband, and he bit the right hand of an officer. After a brief struggle and help from several other officers, they were able to put the suspect in handcuffs. The 911 caller and the owner of the building signed a citizen’s arrest form for trespassing and vandalism. The suspect was taken to Northern Station, cited for the violations, and then transported to San Francisco General Hospital due to his altered mental state.

Send to a Friend Print